The contemporary pieces of garments that are preferred by men of all age groups for decades are sweatshirts and hoodies. In 2023, again these will be among men’s favourite picks. Both are suitable for almost all types of occasions, be it formal or casual. Their utilization increases manifold during winters. Are you aware what’s the difference between hoodie and sweatshirt? Briefly, a sweatshirt is a long-sleeved pullover garment that covers the upper body including the arms and the chest area.
Usually, they don’t have any type of attachment like a hood. Whereas hoodies are a variation of sweatshirt that has a hood attached. Further, in this blog, you can discover the differences in detail and also uncover the ideas to style sweatshirts.
What is a Sweatshirt?
- What is a Sweatshirt?
- What is a Hoodie?
- Difference between Hoodie and Sweatshirt
- Sweatshirt Wearing styles | How to Style Sweatshirts?
- Sweater Vs Sweatshirt and hoodie
- Frequently Asked Questions
Curated from a heavy fabric, sweatshirts are long-sleeved pullover shirts. They may be less fancy than some sweaters but the main purpose is to wear them primarily as casual clothing. Some men prefer to wear it as a stand-alone garment whereas some prefer to layer it with an additional one like a shirt or t-shirt beneath it. As it is a pullover, it contains buttons, zippers, or hooks for attachment.
Usually, sweatshirts are made of materials like jersey, synthetic, wool, cotton, or a combination of all. Commonly, sweatshirt styles include styling it as sports apparel with sweatpants. They are the favourites of athletes as it has the tendency to absorb sweat. Like any other clothes, sweatshirts are no more limited to athletes’ wardrobes. Now it is preferred by most men to remain warm and cosy on cool days.
What is a Hoodie?
A hoodie is a type of sweatshirt that has a few more additions to the general versions. Often it is referred to as a hooded t-shirt which means a sweatshirt with a hood. There are two cords or laces that peep out from the hood and allow you to tighten it. Just like sweatshirts, hoodies are also made from similar types of fabrics like cotton, polyester, or wool. They are comfortable, and soft and offer the warmth that allows you to remain cosy throughout the year.
The basic difference between hoodie and sweatshirt is that a hoodie has buttons, hooks, or zippers that enable them to open from the front. Another basic difference found in some of the designs of hoodies is kangaroo pockets at the front that are not found in sweatshirts. Although both of them are perfect picks for cold days as they are made of heavy fabrics, still hoodies offer extra protection to your ears.
Difference between Hoodie and Sweatshirt
There’s not much difference between hoodies and sweatshirts as both are usually plain without many designs. A sweatshirt is available in colours like dark blue, grey, or black and can be worn in outings and also in small casual gatherings. You can also pair up collared shirts with them.
However, hoodies are not the perfect pick for such occasions and you can’t wear shirts beneath them. Moreover, you can’t wear hoodies for formal occasions and you have to decide which one will be a better fit for the occasion. Below mentioned are some differences between the two:
- Basically, a sweatshirt is a pullover with long sleeves that cover the upper body as well as the arms. A sweatshirt helps you to create a sporty look as well as appear elegant. Lots of outfit options can be created using them, unlike a hoodie. Whereas a hoodie is just like a sweatshirt with different accessories which itself is an outfit and doesn’t require layering.
- Men can wear a sweatshirt with a t-shirt or shirt and style in an elegant look but when it is about wearing t-shirts or shirts with hoodies it doesn’t align. One can wear them beneath a hoodie for protection against cold but it won’t be part of the styling. A shirt over a hoodie would be a fashion disaster.
- Usually, sweatshirts are made using fabrics like jersey, cotton, wool, or a combination of any of these fabrics. It doesn’t contain hooks, zippers, or buttons for attachments whereas hoodies are known for these attachments.
- A wide range of sweatshirts are available in different styles and sizes and most men prefer to style them with sweatpants or track pants. Similarly, hoodies are available in multiple colour options and styles and they go well with a pair of denim.
Sweatshirt Wearing styles | How to Style Sweatshirts?
When you desire to get into different looks, sweatshirts are not always the first choice. However, it is a versatile piece of garment and offers you options to style it in unique ways. You can style them and maintain a relaxed and fashionable edge.
You can dress up in it and get into a casual, professional, and comfortable look. They have been there for hundreds of years and for a long time men have been dressing in them. If you are trying to find how to style sweatshirts then check out some of the famous weaning styles mentioned below:
1. Pair with jeans: One of the best combinations of a sweatshirt is jeans. In fact, it is one of the best outfit options that are suitable for all types of casual appearances. You can choose different kinds of sweatshirts and combine them with different colours of jeans. A basic, dark solid colour sweatshirt would look great with blue jeans. With this look, you can layer a simple crewneck sweater for a more polished look. This is one of the basic differences between hoodies and sweatshirts as you can layer sweatshirts with sweaters, unlike hoodies.
2. Layer with a leather jacket: In winter sweatshirts wearing styles include layering a leather jacket. It will make you appear tougher and also elevate your overall look. To complete the look add leather shoes or loafers and style elegantly. As per the difference between hoodies and sweatshirts, hoodies can’t be layered with leather jackets.
3. Layer with Overshirt: Often men may think wearing a sweatshirt with an overshirt can be tricky. However, you can simply pair a sweatshirt and style them easily with a pair of jeans. These days lots of trending sweatshirts are available so you can pick either printed or textured or chequered and choose the overshirt correspondingly.
4. Pair with Chinos: One of the best bottoms that men can wear with a sweatshirt is a chino. If you want to add a pinch of chic and laxity to the look then pair the sweatshirt with chinos and style them in a variety of ways. To finish the overall look match it with leather sneakers. This will offer you a stylish and comfortable look.
5. Combine with shorts: Hoodies can’t be worn with shorts whereas sweatshirts can be done so. This is one of the major differences between hoodies and sweatshirts. Usually, sweatshirts are looked upon as winter wear but if you want to wear them in summer then combine them with shorts and you are all ready to rock in a spring or summer look. Sweat shorts are the best pair in that case.
6. Layer with blazers: For obtaining a business casual style, you should layer a jacket or blazers with sweatshirts. In this sweatshirt-wearing style first put on a white t-shirt that is lengthier for your sweatshirts. Upon the sweatshirt layer a jacket and that would be the perfect winter outfit.
7. Pair with button-down shirts: A button-down shirt can be worn on a sweatshirt as the best layering choice. If you want to obtain a fashionable look yet remain formal then select the right colour scheme of the shirts and sweatshirts and layer them together. Make sure to pick complementary colours or contrasting colours.
8. Combine with suit: Fortunately, you can combine sweatshirts with many other types of clothes and that’s the major difference between hoodies and sweatshirts. You can select solid grey, white, olive green, or navy sweatshirts and layer them with suits of corresponding colours. A combination of a sweatshirt and a shirt goes well with a suit of any bold colour. Also, this look will enable you to maintain a professional demeanour.
Sweater Vs Sweatshirt and hoodie
Now, you are well aware of the basics of a sweatshirt and hoodies and also know how to wear a sweatshirt. Do you know how these both differ from a sweater? A sweater can be defined as a piece of clothing that is knitted and can be worn as crocheted upper wear, designed to keep you warm by covering your arms and torso. As they are knitted so they are soft and have elasticity.
The hoodie outfit ideas can be implemented with a sweater too and a man can easily obtain a smart look. Although these days sweaters are even made using fibres like cotton or polyester their charm is still present in men of all age groups.
There’s a slight difference between hoodies and sweatshirts. Whether it is a hoodie, sweatshirt, or sweater all serve the same purpose. They are preferred by people of all ages irrespective of gender. If you wonder how to wear a hoodie or sweater, simply follow the sweatshirt outfit ideas discussed here and you can carry yourself fashionably for each look.
The main purpose of all these three clothes is to keep the upper part of the body warm. But these days they do a lot more than their basic purpose and enable you to appear stylish effortlessly!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can we wear sweatshirts in the summer?
Pair the sweatshirt with shorts for a summer look.
2. Can we wear hoodies in summer?
Basically, hoodies are made according to winter to offer you protection against cold. So, you should wear them in either spring or winter.
3. What are sweaters made of?
From the ages sweaters are made of wool by knitting or crocheting. In recent times, they are also made from fibers of polyester or cotton.
4. Which accessories are present in hoodies but not in a sweatshirt?
The hood, zippers, hooks, and buttons are the accessories present in hoodies but not in a sweatshirt.
5. What is common between a hoodie and a sweater?
Both hoodies and sweaters are considered winter wear.